Friday, July 2, 2010

Watered down


"Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water."
- W.C. Fields

At an event I attended recently, special attention was wisely given to the water service. One entire rough-hewn outdoor table was dedicated to a well-presented water display. It was a sweltering evening and a lot of wine was served: Easily available water was key to happy guests. The bottles were pleasing to the eye and plentiful, the garnishes treated as if centerpieces, and the ice buckets dutifully re-iced by the catering staff. On the whole a beautifully conceived necessity for summer and the guests water themselves, nothing better than that in my book.

14 comments:

Town and Country House said...

Wise, indeed. I'm filing this idea away for a gathering later this summer. Thanks for posting.

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

I like filling my galvanized bucket with Pelligrino bottles and ice and plunking it right down in the pea gravel of my potager when entertaining.
So colorful.

Tamra said...

A great bar makes for a great party. A great bar with a great non alcoholic bar makes for a fabulous party.

Love the quote!

Thanks,

Tamra
The Gilded Barn

Toad said...

What a great idea. We shall put it to use this weekend. Thanks

JMW said...

Great idea - a must for summer cocktail parties.

Holly said...

That is exquisite -- allowing those fabulous fresh lemons & limes to just be beautiful and do their thing.

Unknown said...

I love that! I think it's so important to have plenty of water at social events....and why not raise it to a pleasing visual level?! Elizabeth

LPC said...

Great idea.

sle said...

It's refreshing to see such a simple thing turned into a beautiful display. I wish I could read the label at the top to see the brand. Happy Weekend!

Splenderosa said...

This is lovely, C. So many people forget about something absolutely necessary. Thank you for taking the time. xx's
Happy Birthday America!!

pve design said...

Parched, just admiring that table of cool, clear water.
happy 4th.
pve

Unknown said...

Great Idea! We always spend so much time on drink bars and coffee bars...it's a natural addition!

My Dog-Eared Pages said...

I love the idea of a water table!

Easy and Elegant Life said...

We've been adding a selection of sparkling and still waters to our bar. They're starting to need their own tub and are quite popular. Even if some do get used as mixers...