Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The second time around



I share Ina Garten's feeling on "tablescapes." They are not something in which I generally engage. There are many reasons. Foremost, they can create excessively cluttered tables, disorganized, over-stuffed pantry's, and they can take away from the best decor on any table: The flowers and china. That said, when my oldest Daughter turned two last week, I set a more cluttered table. I will share only a couple of these photos which were sadly taken indoors because it was sweltering 100 degrees that evening. Everything is melamine and unbreakable for the little hands of my M&M addict. I am disappointed that I overlooked taking pictures of both her balloons and cake (though my family has them - back in New York, now). I scattered her new toys and books throughout the dining room for a one-child scavenger hunt and small favorites of hers here and there: Bubbles, flowers, trains, seashells. It was a lovely evening, if a little bit misty for Mama.



Her alternating-pattern monogrammed plates are by Fontaine Maury for Mrs. Monogram, Bedford, New York.



This was her menu:

Cocktails/ Apple Juice
Safe Harbor Seafood (local) Shrimp dip (a household addiction)and Crackers

Surf and Turf:
Grilled Shrimp in Ancho Chile and Lime Rub
Filet Mignon with Bordelaise Sauce
Cuke and Heirloom Tomato Salad
Basil and Garlic Bread

Chocolate Cake with Swoopy Chocolate Frosting
Coffee

I believe in taking it easy, three dishes are enough. Otherwise no one will even remember the hostess was at a party.

*Do not forget to enter the Garden & Gun giveaway at Blushing Hostess Entertains or the Old Bay giveaway here at Blushing Hostess Cooks. Both are worth a second to leave your name.

2 comments:

Simone said...

What a cute tabletop!

The Blushing Hostess said...

Thank you Simone, quite quickly mande mincemeat of by two year old hands too! :)