Friday, June 5, 2009

Keeping Mama out of southern prisons


















There is just an outside chance I am going to become one of those well dressed mothers who never fits in and is greeted at church with taught, wincing, forced grins. The one who should never be a Sunday school teacher and does not lecture her girls on the length of their skirts but the designers history, talents, and seam construction while sitting on the Left Bank when it is clearly a school day at home in Westchester.

Why, I have a friend whose Mom reminds me a lot of someone I know: She jollily calls Boboli the, "Top your own dinner night!" as she wanders off to the bath, is still referred to angrily in her (adopted) Catholic parish (because by upbringing she is Episcopal), for putting her own, "happy twist," on catechism training, and once declared her supreme goal to be becoming the assistant to a motivational speaker. Because being a motivational speaker was, "too much responsibility."

So, we were out for "exercise" yesterday morning (or snooping around the neighbors at the beach). Anyway, funny the way gates and yards make little vignettes worth remembering. Funny that we noticed them while we were supposed to me at Mommy and Me... as if. This little class is something I like to call, "Mommy's Hedge Peeping Training." I will be sure they always know where we keep the bail money.

6 comments:

An Aesthete's Lament said...

My mother was one of those mothers, occasionally greeted with pursed lips at church. I distinctly recall her walking into the sanctuary one day wearing an extremely modest long-sleeved, floor-length, high-necked dress—which, unfortunately, got censorious glances because it had a pattern of hibiscus blossoms on a black ground, so was a bit bold for some people's Sunday devotionals. Her black hair was also quite short at the time, like an English schoolboy's, and she wore (as I recall) long earrings. And I distinctly recall one of my Sunday-school mates describing the look as "Jezebel." Which was such a howler, because nobody is more proper and repressed than my mother.

An Aesthete's Lament said...

I forgot to mention the dress was slightly formfitting. She looked wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Mommy's Hedge Peeping Training trumps Mommy & Me any day of the week. Keep up the excellent education techniques.

Happy weekend!

The Countess of Nassau County said...

Fantastic.

I've taught Sunday school for three years and still get a kick out of peoples reactions.

"Oh my Gawd!"

"What?"

"Why?"

"You teach Sunday school?"

"Protestant!"

Laughter.

So I guess I am one of THOSE moms. Praise Jesus.

The Blushing Hostess said...

Until I had kids I was glad not to be rolling up to church with the V Cliquot bottle still charged in my hand. But now that I am extremely dignified, I love the picture AAL painted. Seems a good graduation.
That is, if I am not tied up at brunch or something - where I absolutely say grace first. Sunday school - admirable and no place for the Hostess (who does not care for lightening bolts)!

Mrs. Blandings said...

I'm assuming I will only be embarrassing for a while; I think once they're older they will gain appreciation. I think. Surely two of the three anyway.