Saturday, May 9, 2009

If I could


I would build a huge, soaring, circular pergola: The most glorious pergola in all of the America's and Britain. I could wander in it for hours able to lose complete track of my location but for somewhere inside it. It would take 12 tons of English Oak and an army of carpenters to execute. I would spend a life time teaching the vines to wind their way up, over and down. I would place lovely chairs in the center and, with the view beyond the pergola obscured by the climbing flowers, never have any idea what direction I was facing. In the pergola, things like that would be of no concern.
Or I could appeal to British race driver James Morgan to allow me to sit in his (above), at Woodway House.
This most magnificent of all pergolas was the work of the admirable English Garden Carpentry Company and the photo via same. Worth a visit to Woodway's architectural firm's site while there, their project list allows peeks into some very swank joints in the British Isles and beyond.

No comments: