Saturday, January 24, 2009

Hoagland's of Greenwich

One of my favorite stores the world over is Hoagland's of Greenwich on Greenwich Avenue ("the avenue" in local parlance): Perfectly exquisite pieces selected by even-handed, tasteful stylists with a grace rarely found any longer. They are old-school, catering to local brides and the big houses in Greenwich, and they have (even after gentle prodding from the Hostess) resisted building a website. I love that about them a little: They hang on to what they are and the world out there is not relevant to their concentration on their passions.


The blue and white wall. To their credit, they are neither selling nor displaying a copy of Carolyne Roehm's newish book A Passion for Blue and White which is mentioned and featured ad nausea these days. I get the feeling they like like this blue and white idea all on their own: Since the Herend pattern at center front is a stunner.

I don't recommend this setting method at home for actual meals: When you have a fine table with beautiful finish use a table pad, then a softening barrier like tight felt as good restaurants would, and a table cloth. Even the most even of serving hands could spill on the finish and that could be fierce and devastating depending on the nature of the spillage.

While I am not the biggest fan of gold chargers, this is perfect together: Light touches of gold on the plate rims keeps it from pretentious overkill. And I adore the sterling and crystal centerpiece not adulterated with a ton of crap. Easy-go'ers, they are.


Right. One day it will be spring again. I love this wall but was not expecting pastel, it was refreshing and stopped me cold in my Jackson-booted steps.


Sharp and unexpected: The two single best things any table setting can be. I love the sterling's handles playing off the color of the wood and how well balanced the green and cream are along side. The touch of silver in the knot pulls back in the flatware tips. Comes full circle beautifully.

When in Greenwich, do drop in on them. You may find the Hostess there, nuzzling the myriad European patterns for which Hoagland's is known. This close-by 'burg is Eddie Ross's hometown and one could certainly easily imagine how much inspiration he must have found there early in his life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoagland's is a beautiful store for inspiration! Problem is...I can't afford anything in it! Can you? That's why places like Consign It on Masion street is such a better option for poeple to buy antique china to mix and match with what they already own. It makes for a more eclectic table--updated and fresh-- and not like you just bought a set of all new china from a department store.
Eddie

The Blushing Hostess said...

Nail on the head. I have a post going here just to that effect!

Jeanne Henriques said...

I appreciated this post. I was trying to find Hoagland's website and now I know why I can not locate it. Our wedding china was registered here over 20 years ago...still thinking about the plate that got away. The one the Mother-in-law said no too:) If I only I could remember...I am sure they still have it.

As you say, the next time I am in Greenwich...


Jeanne:)