Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Farewell, El Bulli



Long favored as the greatest restaurant in the world, and sadly one I missed, Ferran AdriĆ  has announced El Bulli, located in Roses, Spain, will close in 2012 and reopen two years later as a culinary school.



One of my most prized possession is the book, a weighty photographic essay, by the same name, which I will treasure so much more now that rumor has it even reservations are full until closing night in 2012.



I've always noted the juxtaposition of the sleek, state of the art kitchens and their rigorous and advanced product with the relative humbleness of the traditional dining space.



It was long accused of being the temple of an egomaniac.



That word is often used to describe the best. They should pay no mind, their achievement surely moves past words and on to transcendent perfection.



It will be interesting to see who and what emerges now.

Photos: here.

4 comments:

home before dark said...

I am glad that something positive will come of this. So sad to read about the devastation, often suicides, that come from the relentless chase for perfection in Michelin star world. As for the juxtaposition of the high tech kitchen with humble surroundings for dining, it works for me. I'm not sure why, maybe just the tension between the two. In my own kitchen redo it will be a grab and go jewel box of mirror and chrome cheek to jowl with my English-like dining room/library.

Karena said...

Sad, very sad. I really am sorry when great establishments close!!

Karena

The romantic query letter and the happy-ever-after said...

Here's hoping you and I get to go before it closes.
Warm regards,
Simone.

ceecee said...

I would have loved to have eaten at El Bulli. Two things to miss already this year - El Bulli and McQueen.

I've enjoyed visiting your blog and will stop by again.

Thank you so much,
Catherine