Friday, January 15, 2010

That'll teach me



This past Monday morning I was dreading some absurdly mundane household tasks (and wishing myself back in Italy where my morning commute to work left me an aesthetic daze for half the day) when I remembered I had wanted to cobble together some blogger intelligence on an exhibit which recently opened in Italy.

At first glance, the premise of the thing seemed inspired, truly the loving hands of an Hermes scarf devotee, not unlike many readers of this page: An exhibit of Hermes scarves and the objects which inspired them, appearing at Palazzo Ducale in Lucca.

Perhaps I was even feeling a smidge resentful to be looking at laundry while others peered at silk twill masterpieces.

But this review reminded me not every thing called an exhibit is a masterpiece, not even if it showcases them. And there is, as always, the repeated lesson that watching my kids grow up is indeed far more important than the relentless pursuit of silk, even if it is Hermes.

9 comments:

Decor To Adore said...

The Art Museum of Phoenix actually has a fashion exhibit area that changes about 4 times a year. I love it. Currently it is Geoffrey Beene. As my daughter is a fashion design student we rarely miss an exhibit. Looking at the clothes I often think "This is ridiculous! I would NEVER wear this." But then if you stop for a moment you do truly see that couture is indeed a work of art.
I say we hop on a plane and go~ It's Hermes after all! :)

P.Gaye Tapp at Little Augury said...

these are gorgeous, I have always thought and still might have one to frame at some point, absolutely no room right now. I had a friend whose Mom had done one up and I loved it-very chic (and I rarely use that word)GT

Debra said...

I have visited Lucca several times, it's definitely a favorite spot of mine. And thank you very much to a generous brother-in-law have several Hermes scarves. I would so adore seeing this exhibit. Off to read more.

Lovely Scribbles said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog this week! I've since been following yours, and I love your writing style and little snipits of interesting facts. I will be back!

JMW said...

Oh, Hermes. Would love to see such an exhibit. One day, I will receive the orange box with a beautiful scarf inside, one day. ;)

Karena said...

That has to be a very exciting and gorgeous exhibit!! I do not have a Hermes scarf, maybe one day!

Alexandra said...

I don't know - the relentless pursuit of silk is a good thing... but of cashmere, even better.

I'm wondering what part of my review on the Hermes show in Lucca on TuscanyArts made you say that the exhibit is neither a masterpiece nor the product of a true Hermes-lover? Maybe let me know in the comments section of that blog post?
http://www.turismo.intoscana.it/allthingstuscany/tuscanyarts/napoleon-hermes-lucca/

And thanks very much for the link!

The Blushing Hostess said...

Ak - the pursuit of cashmere led me to some very unfortunate parts of Mongolia to get closer to the goat...

Just fyi, I can neither return to your post (440 error?) nor see it any longer, but I cannot see here where "nor the product of a true Hermes-lover?" is scribed.

After finding your site, I tried to add both a subscription and a link on my read-bar and could not get a feed. If I can figure this out, I will indeed addd it sd I think the readership here would like it.

Alexandra said...

Hi again!
Pursuits of goats?! I hope you write about that! ;-)

Thanks for pointing out your technical difficulties on TuscanyArts. The link to the post in your post, and in my comment, still works for me. It is:
http://www.turismo.intoscana.it/allthingstuscany/tuscanyarts/napoleon-hermes-lucca/

And this appears to be the feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/tuscanyarts

If you have any trouble email me personally akorey at h-art.it
thanks! Alexandra