Monday, October 12, 2009

The Pantry Shower



I often receive bridal shower invitations requesting I bring a favorite handwritten recipe. I adore the idea of one thoughtful bridesmaid to include a lovely monogrammed recipe card with my initials which she had printed herself for each guest. When we arrived at the shower, all of the cards were pasted into a very special handmade rice-paper book. A card file, like that above from Dabney Lee would be just as appreciated. The book was attractive, cohesive, and well put together. I have no doubt it will neatly and thoughtful withstand the test of time for the bride.

Further to that fine time-tested concept, a new, different, and expanded bridal shower theme could include a request for the chief or most-difficult to find ingredient in the recipe for the couple who enjoys cooking, no?



It would be much easier to get a kitchen up and running if those fire-roasted tomatoes, harissa, vanilla beans, and instant espresso were already in the pantry. A recommendation from a friend early in our marriage led me to discover the many uses of instant espresso; I employ it endlessly in meat rubs, tiramisu, and chocolate desserts and it is the first item I would contribute along with the recipes in which we have enjoyed it.

What specialty item would you contribute to a new pantry?

photo credits: merrymartini.com (retailer of Dabney Lee items as above), countryliving.com

3 comments:

nina healy said...

This post reminded me of a delicious recipe from Williams-Sanoma for Espresso, White Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Bark....When I want to bring it to a party I fill an oversized, clear coffee cup with coffee beans and put the bark on top!
Whenever I am asked to bring a recipe to a shower, I always like to attatch it to something. Recently, I gave my friend from CA a bottle of O Olive Oil and attatched a recipe for a "california marinade."

Unknown said...

I love this idea.

jok said...

A bottle of lovely extra virgin olive oil, along with a bottle of aged balsamic vinegar.