Friday, July 17, 2009

A Table for Bedford



This article and photo by Sandy Nelson for Olympia Uncovered has me thinking about the way tables bring communities together. It occurs to me my hometown would be a great candidate for dinner tables and flower arrangements in the middle of the street, they know a little about partiesin the street but, town parties...



Bedford, New York, ca. 1990-something. I can assure you that grand hostess and doyenne, Katharine Gottsegen, who lived to the right of this shot did not sign off on the flamingos in the trees...

Never mind dinner parties this weekend, invite the whole town to dinner. Something good might happen.

2 comments:

Southern Aspirations said...

Great thought. I too was reminded of our "block parties" when I read your intro. In our neighborhood- people are way too busy and almost reclusive after work hours as most are unwinding indoors. Love the idea of a large celebration- supper club? outside!

LPC said...

I love unexpected locations for parties. Love lawn flamingos too...