Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I don't think they'll mind...

if I spoil Mother's Day gift giving for them. Our Mother's have almost always been sent cut flowers on this weekend every year. This year we decided to do something with a little more sustainability than a week of blooms in the house.

My Mother's plants and pots around her home and grounds in previous years have included a lot annuals which are expensive in time and money to install and maintain each year. Josh's Mom is also a tremendous gardener who was known for the enormous sustaining vegetable and fruit garden she created each year which put fresh organics into all her glorious babies for all the years they lived at home. After a short break, I understand she will begin her garden anew at her new home.

All of this gardening skill deserves some reward and sustenance: I am replanting my Mother's house with perennial and decorative herbs and new rose varieties for cutting.



And Josh's Mom is getting a mess of fruit bushes from Spring Hill's small fruit selections: Blueberry, strawberry, raspberry, and blackberry. Food and antioxidants in a combination of berries for planters on porches (great for city and condo dwellers, also) which even come as a kit with the planter, and berries for the ground which can literally be planted anywhere and pretty much grow wild thereafter.



I went to the local garden center for the herb garden items. An herb garden of any size is easy to construct even in a little planter and this is the time of year to get started. I choose Spring Hill for shipping plants, and Jackson and Perkins for roses because both guarantee their specimens.

Are you giving something sustainable this year? I'd love to read your ideas.

1 comment:

Pigtown*Design said...

Every year, I get my mother a variation on the same thing... screw-back earrings. They're so hard to find, so when I see them, usually at vintage/thrift stores, I snap them up.