Here is a list of things I have seen around and on other entertaining blogs which never occurred to me to do, possibly because they are so not swell. This is a working list of commandments to be added to, altered, and addendum-ized at will and willfully. Feel free to subsribe to any and all or not to ivite The Hostess when engaging in these practices for fear she may use her out-loud voice in expressing horror and agony:
The Blushing Hostess Commandments
a Blushing work in progress
1. Thou shalt not serve food from the table out of the cooking pot.
2. Thou shalt not serve food with a wooden or silicone spoon.
3. Thou shalt not set a table with paper cocktail napkins under the fork, or paper anywhere else for that matter.
4. Thou shalt not forget to RSVP promptly and appear reliably.
5. Thou shalt not use six different types sizes, fonts, or colors on invitations, or for that matter, on your blog.
6. Thou shalt not use random twigs and yard waste for centerpieces or (highly questionable) decor which looks like random trees and yard waste (stylized cool stuff is still acceptable, however).
7. Thou shall not use vinyl, printed, flannel backed tablecloths for any reason, even tarps and drop cloths.
8. Thou shalt not disrespect musical instruments and their fragility by using pianos as buffet tables or bars (Lordy! Did that really need saying?)
9. Thou shalt iron table linens and not assume the de-wrinkle cycle works just as well.
10. Thou shalt not serve anything to guests with the word "sloppy" in the name.
11. Thou shalt not stop a dinner party between the meal and dessert or cheese to do all the dinner dishes and clean the kitchen and under no circumstances are the napkins to be cleared before the final course (s) are served.
Oh. My head aches so. I need to lie down.