Monday, November 10, 2008

The Invitiation

I hear an irresistible voice which invites me away from all that.
- Henry David Thoreau

We've selected our first invitation of the holiday season for the tree trimming held the first week after Thanksgiving. We love it for it's whimsical, old fashioned, and welcoming dashing-through-the snow qualities. We did not want it to be too starched or hard working, a tree trimming just does not need to be so taxing. If I received this invite, I would smile and find it impossible to refuse all that this invitation invites me away from. It brings something warm and endearing to first holiday season plans and sets the tone perfectly. Literally, I heard the song playing as I gazed on the card the first time...

I give you Home For The Holidays which will be provided by Polka Dot Design since I am travelling and they make everything so painless. And yes, we'll be keeping the opening stanza of the song with only a small change to the plaural since the invitation is on behalf of our whole family:

I'll be home for the holidays
You can count on me
Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents on the tree
- Bing Crosby, Home for the Holidays, 1943

We're so pleased we found this one among the selections...

No comments: